***

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Jackpot!

Leighton and I hit the jackpot today!!!...The book jackpot that is. Last month we went to a free literacy event put on by First Things First. At the event they have stations set up with different activities for the kids (0-2) and they give handouts for how to recreate the activities with little or no cost. After the activities they have story time and sing a few songs. The kids each get their own copy of the book to read along with and they get to keep it. You also get a calendar to place a sticker on each day that you read for 20 minutes, if you bring the calendar back the next month you get a prize.







So when we went back today with our calendar we got to pick a prize, a book or stuffed toy. I picked a book and was handed a whole stack. I thought I had to open it and pick one book but we actually got them all! Holy cow that was an awesome prize. There were 10 (TEN!) books in there, JACKPOT! Good books too, not the reject books, there were 2 Clifford books, Franklin, Spot, Scooby Doo, Junie B. Jones, Critters, and a couple of others. Plus we got our story time book and a story time book from the 3-5 group (if they have extras they hand those out too), watermelon seeds, dirt, and 2 jars of fruit baby food.





Leighton has a great time with the activities and she really likes when we all sing. Story time is a little difficult for her because she doesn't like to sit still but being able to hold the book herself helps. I'd have to say that this event it totally worth getting Leighton up a little early to go to every month. By the time we get home it's naptime (yay). Today I let her read a few books before her nap.



2 comments:

  1. That is awesome!!!! And I must say Megan, your little girl doesn't look like a baby anymore. She is so adorable reading her book and I just can't believe how fast she is growing. Enjoy the books!!! I can't wait to see you again!!!

    Love,
    Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  2. She doesn't look like a baby anymore...:(

    ReplyDelete